Microsoft Lync Server 2013 Migration
Knightstone Housing wanted to work with a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner to migrate their existing Microsoft Lync Server 2010 environment to Microsoft Lync Server 2013 Enterprise Edition.
Knightstone is a leading provider of housing in Somerset and the West of England committed to building vibrant, stable and safe communities where people can make their home. They own and manage over 11,000 homes and deliver services to 23,000 tenants and homeowners.
Knightstone have been working with Nexus as a strategic supplier and partner for many years. The IT team at Knightstone has a long standing relationship with the Nexus pre-sales, account management and technical teams who provide a source of IT support and consultancy and analysis to the organisation.
Following a successful deployment of Microsoft Lync Server 2010 as a proof of concept for the IT team, the unified communication functionality and capabilities of Lync were assessed by the organisation and the decision was made to fully roll out Lync and migrate the pilot environment to Microsoft Lync Server 2013 Enterprise Edition. The migration would extend the Lync telephony and IM features to all users and enable the time and cost saving benefits you gain with the new version.
The project was planned, managed and delivered on time and key deliverables included:
- Deployment of Microsoft Lync Server 2013 Enterprise Edition in coexistence with existing implementation
- Installation of AudioCodes Gateways in pass through, to allow for a phased migration
- Rehoming of users onto new front end pool, causing minimal disruption during the migration phase
- Replacement of consolidate edge connectivity with Microsoft Lync Server 2013 Consolidated Edge platform
- Decommissioning of existing Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Front End pool
- Technical handover of new environment to the housing association IT team
The project was delivered and managed by the Nexus project management team over a five day implementation period in order to successfully complete the installation and perform sufficient hardware, software and end user testing. Upon completion of this project Knightstone now have a next generation unified communications system built on Microsoft Lync Server 2013 Enterprise Edition.
The new Microsoft Lync unified communication platform has provided the organisation with many important technical and operational benefits including:
- Enterprise telephony and voicemail functionality
- Audio and multiparty video conferencing at 1080p
- Lync unified client, web application and mobile clients
- Data collaboration and workspace sharing
- Real-time presence information with instant messaging
- Integration with Microsoft Exchange, Outlook and other Office applications, including Office 365
Ongoing Technical Support from Nexus experts, helpdesk operators and engineers