Please note: Due to the current situation with Covid 19 the PeopleCert are offering remotely proctored online exams for all candidates. Once registered by the Nexus exam administration team you will receive an exam registration email directly from PeopleCert. This email will contain the necessary instruction on how to schedule your exam.
***Please note that due to the current high demand for online exams, there may be limited time slots available. Delegates are invited to contact Peoplecert directly regarding the provision of additional sessions. We would recommend delegates follow this process and re-access the live calendar regularly as Peoplecert will add additional sessions where demand dictates. ***
This 2-day course builds on each delegate's previous MSP knowledge and experience. It provides delegates with the opportunity to build the skills needed to approach the MSP Advanced Practitioner examination with a measure of confidence.
This course will develop the assurance of the delegate in terms of their responses to dealing with changes during the life cycle of their programme. It will enable them to analyse and assess their programme and make considered evaluations. By achieving MSP Advanced Practitioner status, delegates will demonstrate their ability to understand the status of a programme and provide solutions for the way forward using the MSP methodology and their programme management skills.
The course includes the MSP Advanced Practitioner examination and is delivered by fully accredited trainers and industry leading experts with extensive experience of using MSP.
This course is designed for those who have had experience in programme management roles, eg Senior Responsible Owner, Programme Manager, Business Change Managers, Programme Office Manager.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Review and understand the standard 'MSPCare' case study supplied for the Advanced Practitioner exam delegates
- Apply MSP knowledge to the MSPCare scenario
- Ensure that they provide answers which reflect their experience and abilities in programme management in the Advanced Practitioner examination.
- It will also enable delegates to take the Advanced Practitioner examination and use a selection of exam techniques to allow them to understand the questions and answer them.
A reminder of the main elements of the MSP method.
MSPCare Case Study
- An understanding of the MSPCare Case Study, which presents a mix of both public and private sector elements
- PLEASE NOTE: Please bring your MSPCare Case Study with you to the course.
- Interrogation of the MSPCare scenario through application of MSP methodology and best practice programme management
Exam techniques required to pass the Advanced Practitioner exam:
- Understanding of questions
- Required answer elements
- Use of the MSP manual and MSPCare scenario to present answers
All delegates will sit the MSP Advanced Practitioner examination at 1pm on the last day of the course. Please bring along photo ID on the day of your exam. The exam format is as follows:
- Essay based
- Three hours duration
- Up to 3 questions
- 75 marks available
- 38 marks or more are required to pass 50%
- Open-book other material in the form of course notes, examples, copies of presentations, etc. can be used during this examination but no electronic aids, such as laptops, may be used.
All MSP Practitioners and/or Advanced Practitioners should be re-registered within 3-5 years of their original certification.
The format of the Advanced Practitioner Re-registration is:
- A 2000 - 4000 word 'dissertation' suggested target 2500 words on a specific subject selected from a range of topics demonstrating application of MSP. It would ideally be based on a 'real life' programme that the candidate has worked within. If this is not possible if a candidate has not recently worked within a programme or their programme contains classified information, it would be acceptable to base it on the Advanced Practitioner Case Study 'MSP Care'. There are no time restrictions imposed on this dissertation. The dissertation will be marked out of a possible 75 marks with the candidate needing 38 marks to achieve a pass. Should the candidate fail the Re-registration, feedback will be provided. The candidate is permitted to update and re-submit their paper, however should this second attempt be a fail and detailed feedback is given then the candidate must submit a new paper. Instead of the re-registration paper, a candidate also has the option to sit the full Advanced Practitioner examination to re-register at this level.
MSP® is a [registered] trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.
The Swirl logo™ is a trade mark of AXELOS Limited, used under permission of AXELOS Limited. All rights reserved.
- Candidates must hold the MSP Practitioner Certificate.
- Please note: You must bring signed photo ID with you for any exam passport, driving licence, student card as you will be asked to produce it by the invigilator prior to the exam.
Proof of prerequisites MUST be produced on the day of the exam to the trainer.
Acceptable forms of prerequisite confirmation are as follows:
- A copy of the candidates examination certificate
- Confirmed entry in the AXELOS Successful Candidate Register. You will need to provide the full SCR number registration/candidate number located on your certificate.
Delegates without evidence of the prerequisites will NOT be permitted to sit the exam. For any queries on this please email email@example.com
Delegates will be provided with pre-course reading by email prior to attending the course. This pre-reading comprises a mixture of theory, sample questions and application of MSP, the set Case Study 'MSPCare' which presents a complex programme scenario, a sample advanced practitioner examination paper and answer guidance.
The success on the course will be enhanced by close attention to the pre-reading materials. It is recommended that candidates spend 10 hours working through the pre-reading.
If you have not received your pre-reading material within one week of the start of your course, please contact your Account Manager or firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE NOTE: Please bring your MSP Guide Managing Successful Programmes - ISBN: 978-011-3313273 this is NOT provided on this course. Attendees of this course are assumed to be up to date in their knowledge of MSP® from their previous courses which allowed them to achieve their practitioner standard qualification.
Additional work will be required during evenings consisting of consolidation reading, mock examination questions and exercises. This evening work is an integral part of the course and delegates should expect to spend 2 hours each evening on these activities.
Proof of identification
If taking an exam, candidates are required to provide Photo ID with a valid signature e.g. driving license, passport or named work ID badges prior to sitting their exam. Failure to produce this ID will result in their exam results being withheld until proof of ID is provided. Please note that if proof is not provided within 40 days, candidate's exam results will be null and void and a re-sit would be required.
Reasonable Adjustments Policy
The exam provider allows additional time for candidates who have a disability or whose native language differs to that of the examination paper. Ful details and how to apply can be found here . At least two weeks' notice will be required for processing this request. Delegates failing to advise Nexus and provide evidence when requested, may not be allowed the additional support offered via the policy. Nexus Exam Administration can be contacted by email email@example.com or by phone +4401392 205095.