This course will provide you with the knowledge and skills to work with Active Directory technologies in Windows Server 2012.
This course is based fully on official Microsoft courses M20410, M20411 and M20412, but is run on demand only. For a public scheduled alternative, please see course M10969.
This course is intended for individuals who already have experience with Windows and wish to either learn Active Directory or extended their knowledge
Typical students include people who have at least one year of experience implementing and administering a network operating system and IT Professionals who work in medium and enterprise organizations with the knowledge and skills in Windows Servers.
At the end of this course you will be able to:
- Install and Configure Windows Server 2012.
- Describe AD DS.
- Manage Active Directory objects.
- Automate Active Directory administration
- Maintain Active Directory Domain Services AD DS.
- Manage User and Service Accounts
- Implement a Group Policy Infrastructure
- Manage User Desktops with Group Policy
- Implement distributed Active Directory Domain Services AD DS deployment
- Implement Active Directory Domain Services AD DS Sites and Replication
Module 1: Deploying and Managing Windows Server 2012
This module introduces the new Windows Server 2012 administrative interface. This module covers the different roles and features that are available with the Windows Server 2012 operating system. It also discusses the various installation and configuration options you can use when deploying and configuring Windows Server 2012.
- Windows Server 2012 Overview
- Overview of Windows Server 2012 Management
- Installing Windows Server 2012
- Post-Installation Configuration of Windows Server 2012
- Introduction to Windows PowerShell
Lab: Deploying and Managing Windows Server 2012Deploying Windows Server 2012
- Configuring Windows Server 2012 Server Core
- Managing Servers
- Using Windows PowerShell to Manage Servers
Module 2: Introduction to Active Directory Domain Services
This module introduces Active Directory Domain Services AD DS in Windows Server 2012. It covers general AD DS infrastructure including forests, trees, schema, Global Catalog, and Operations Masters. It also covers installing and configuring domain controllers.
- Overview of AD DS
- Overview of Domain Controllers
- Installing a Domain Controller
Lab: Installing Domain Controllers
- Installing a Domain Controller
- Installing a Domain Controller by Using IFM
Module 3: Managing Active Directory Domain Services Objects
This module covers configuring Active Directory objects such as users, groups and computers. The functionality of AD DS administrative tools is addressed, in addition to the configuration of user profiles and the process of delegating permissions to perform AD DS administration
- Managing User Accounts
- Managing Group Accounts
- Managing Computer Accounts
- Delegating Administration
Lab: Managing Active Directory Domain Services Objects
- Delegating Administration for a Branch Office
- Creating and Configuring User Accounts in AD DS
- Managing Computer Objects in AD DS.
Module 4: Automating Active Directory Domain Services Administration
This module covers using command-line tools to configure and administer AD DS. It introduces using Windows PowerShell cmdlets for AD DS administration, and using Windows PowerShell to perform bulk AD DS administrative operations
- Using Command-line Tools for AD DS Administration
- Using Windows PowerShell for AD DS Administration
- Performing Bulk Operations with Windows PowerShell
Lab: Automating AD DS Administration by Using Windows PowerShell
- Creating User Accounts and Groups by Using Windows PowerShell
- Using Windows PowerShell to Create User Accounts in Bulk
- Using Windows PowerShell to Modify User Accounts in Bulk
Module 5: Maintaining Active Directory Domain Services
This module explains the new features, such as virtualized domain controller cloning, recent features like read-only domain controllers RODCs, and a host of other features and tools that you can use in the AD DS environment
- Overview of AD DS
- Implementing Virtualized Domain Controllers
- Implementing RODC
- Administering AD DS
- Managing the AD DS Database
Lab: Maintaining AD DS
- Installing and Configuring a RODC
- Configuring AD DS snapshots
- Configuring the Active Directory Recycle Bin
Module 6: Managing User and Service Accounts
This module explains how to manage large groups of user accounts, explain the different options available for providing adequate password security for accounts in your environment, and show you how to configure accounts to provide authentication for system services and background processes.
- Automating User Account Management
- Configuring Password-Policy and User-Account Lockout Settings
- Configuring Managed Service Accounts
Lab: Managing User and Service Accounts
- Configuring Password-Policy and Account-Lockout Settings
- Creating and Associating a Managed Service Account
Module 7: Implementing a Group Policy Infrastructure
This module explains Group Policy is, how it works, and how best to implement it in your organization.
- Introducing Group Policy
- Implementing and Administering Group Policy Objects GPOs
- Group Policy Scope and Group Policy Processing
- Troubleshooting the Application of GPOs
Lab: Implementing a Group Policy Infrastructure
- Creating and Configuring GPOs
- Managing GPO Scope
- Verifying GPO Application
- Managing GPOs
Module 8: Managing User Desktops with Group Policy
This module explains how to configure Administrative Templates.
- Implementing Administrative Templates
- Configuring Folder Redirection and Scripts
- Configuring Group Policy Preferences
- Managing Software with Group Policy
Lab: Managing User Desktops with Group Policy
- Implementing Settings by Using Group Policy Preferences
- Configuring Folder Redirection
Module 9: Implementing Distributed Active Directory Domain Services Deployments
This module describes the components of a highly complex AD DS deployment, which includes implementing a distributed AD DS deployment and configuring AD DS forest trusts
- Overview of Distributed AD DS Deployments
- Deploying a Distributed AD DS Environment
- Configuring AD DS Trusts
Lab: Implementing Complex AD DS Deployments
- Implementing Child Domains in AD DS
- Implementing Forest Trusts
Module 10: Implementing Active Directory Domain Services Sites and Replication
This module describes how replication works in a Windows Server 2012 AD DS environment, including how to configure AD DS sites so that you can optimize AD DS network traffic and how to configure and monitor AD DS replication
- Overview of AD DS Replication
- Configuring AD DS Sites
- Configuring and Monitoring AD DS Replication
Lab: Implementing AD DS Sites and Replication
- Modifying the Default Site
- Creating Additional Sites and Subnets
- Configuring AD DS Replication
- Experience with a version of the Windows Server Operating System.
- Working knowledge of networking, for example, TCP/IP and Domain Name System DNS.