The Chartered Management Institute’s Level 5 qualification in management and leadership is tailored to the needs of practising middle managers and those aspiring to senior management. The programme will help you to develop your core management skills and learn the professional habits of an effective manager.
You will focus on management areas that are applicable to your specific roles, improving your resource management, leadership and decision making skills. By the end of the programme, you will be better prepared to manage teams and individuals, setting appropriate targets and facilitating effective working practices.
It is highly participative, using facilitated discussion, presentations, validated tools of self-assessment, case studies and group work. It promotes reflective review, and encourages you to find opportunities to apply the learning in the workplace.
Programme duration approx. 10 months, consisting of pre course work, 7 days’ classroom training, and completion of three assignments. Attending all the programme is mandatory to attain the relevant number of hours of study for this qualification.
This Certificate programme is the second in a series and, if you have attended the CMI Level 5 Award in Leadership & Management, you will be exempt from the first two workshops and assignment.
Understanding reflective practice to inform personal & professional development:
- Analyse the importance of continuous personal and professional development in achieving organisational objectives
- Evaluate the use of reflective practice in personal and professional development
- Evaluate approaches to reflective practice
- Identify your internal and external customers
- Evaluate your own performance in the workplace using principles of reflection
- Reflect on your own working style and its impact on others in the workplace
- Analyse development needs for current and future roles
- Specify development opportunities to meet short, medium and long term objectives
- Create a personal development plan with achievable, but challenging, objectives
Principles of recruiting, selecting and retaining talent:
- Evaluate theoretical models for developing and leading teams
- Analyse practical approaches for effective team management and leadership
- Analyse strategies for managing team leaders
- Develop approaches to respond to the challenges of managing and leading multiple and remote teams
- Evaluate techniques for assessing current and future team capabilities and requirements
- Analyse a process for recruiting team members
- Analyse the factors which impact on the selection of learning and development activities for individuals and teams
- Analyse the use of coaching and mentoring models to support team development
- Evaluate methods and organisational frameworks used to monitor and manage individual and team performance
- Evaluate good practice for enabling and supporting high performing teams
Principles of delivering coaching and mentoring:
- Analyse the similarities and differences between coaching and mentoring
- Evaluate the purpose of coaching and mentoring within organisations
- Analyse the impact of coaching and mentoring on individuals and teams
- Evaluate the models used for coaching and mentoring individuals in the workplace
- Create a plan to deliver coaching to an individual in response to an identified business need
- Analyse the skills and competences of an effective coach and mentor
- Evaluate approaches to respond to challenges when delivering coaching and mentoring
- Identify strategies to evaluate the impact of coaching and mentoring on individuals and the organisation
- Develop solutions to ensure coaching and mentoring continues to deliver results
This programme will be suitable for your if you’re a middle manager managers of managers wishing to develop your leadership skills whilst seeking an industry recognised qualification, or an experienced first line managers about to make the transition into middle management.