Network Infrastructure and Unified Communications Platform
We are very happy with the Nexus team. They are professional, flexible and always keen to help. It is now over a year since â€˜go-liveâ€™ and the whole environment has proved to be reliable and continues to perform to a high level.
J+S Limited deliver robust and cost-effective solutions across all military markets, in civil maritime markets and the offshore energy business. They have been expertly combining comprehensive engineering development with production since 1956. Their customers rely on their creative engineering solutions, in-service support of complex systems and low volume production of bespoke or niche items.
Following a competitive tender for the provision of hardware, software and services, J+S Limited selected Nexus to deliver a new Microsoft Lync unified communication platform and network infrastructure for 120 employees across two sites within the UK.
At the beginning of 2012, J+S Limited issued a tender for a New Network Infrastructure, in which they outlined their requirements for their sites in Barnstaple and Aberdeen. The successful bid and solution had to deliver two physically separate wired Local Area Networks (LAN) for commercial and restricted use, in addition to a new unified communications platform using Microsoft Lync for over 120 end users. The completion of the project would also need to coincide with a large scale reorganisation of the Barnstaple office, during which the site would be refurbished.
Nexus were selected by J+S Limited as their preferred supplier for the project. Senior IT Consultants from Nexus provided IT systems design services by working closely with the IS Manager at J+S. Senior Nexus Systems Engineers recommended the deployment of a VMware virtualisation infrastructure to host the latest generation of Microsoft business software including Windows Server, Exchange Server and Lync Server, as well as other bespoke line of business applications. The project team then constructed a final IT strategy and project management plan. One of the primary goals of the project was to provide network, application and telephony services to 120 J+S Limited end users.
To facilitate the virtualisation, network infrastructure and data storage requirements of the project, Nexus proposed the procurement and implementation of a Dell EqualLogic storage area network (SAN) with the latest generation Dell servers and network switching and management devices.
The new telephony and unified communication platform would be delivered with Microsoft Lync Server in conjunction with an AudioCodes Advanced Media Gateway to provide a feature rich VoIP telephony architecture. To satisfy connectivity at the Barnstaple and Aberdeen sites, Nexus selected Dell PowerConnect switches for both core and edge based connectivity, using Aerohiveâ€™s Wireless N technology for mobile based devices.
Under the guidance of a dedicated Nexus project manager, Senior Nexus Systems Engineers worked effectively to the proposed timeline to ensure the following project deliverables were successfully achieved:
- Integration of 2 dispersed IT infrastructures to facilitate a restricted Ministry of Defence (MoD) network and an unrestricted commercial network for all J+S Limited personnel
- Deployment of new network, data storage and virtualisation infrastructure to provide a high performance, scalable and flexible architecture to cater for both daily operations and future growth
- Installation of a Dell EqualLogic PS4100 series SAN, Dell PowerEdge R620 series rack mount servers and Dell PowerConnect 6000 series switches
- Deployment and configuration of VMware vSphere 5 Essentials Plus virtual infrastructure to provide J+S Limited IT personnel with centralised administration of their virtual environment and enterprise level high availability features
- Installation of Microsoft Lync Server with AudioCodes Mediant 1000B Gateways with Survivable Branch Appliance (SBA) at the Aberdeen site and endpoints from Plantronics, Polycom and Aastra
- Implementation of AeroHive HiveManager Wireless Network Management System and AeroHive HiveAP 120 access points at both sites
- New Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machines to facilitate Microsoft Forefront TMG 2010 and Microsoft SCCM 2012 within the J+S Limited infrastructure.
- Microsoft Lync unified communication training services for end users
- 'Big bang' user migration completed over a single weekend to minimise downtime for the organisation
This very complex and challenging project was successfully completed by Nexus Technical Engineers in March 2013 and as a result J+S Limited have implemented a VMware vSphere 5 virtualised infrastructure in conjunction with Dell EqualLogic storage and Dell PowerEdge series servers for high availability.
Microsoft Lync provides J+S Limited end users with advanced telephony and unified communication tools to deliver improved communication and collaboration with internal and external audiences. Using the AudioCodes Gateway the organisation now has the capability to operate their telephone system as a single entity, in a multi-site configuration with fail over if one of the site loses connectivity.
The new network infrastructure at J+S Limited has overcome a number of negative effects experienced with their incumbent network architecture, thus increasing the productivity and operational effectiveness of their personnel. On-going IT support and maintenance services are provided by Nexus through Retained Technical Services (RTS) and both organisations continue to work closely together on a range of IT projects.
We are very happy with the Nexus team. They are professional, flexible and always keen to help. It is now over a year since ‘go-live’ and the whole environment has proved to be reliable and continues to perform to a high level.