VMware Migration Project
Gregg Latchams LLP wanted to replace and upgrade their existing Windows 2003 domain running on aging hardware with a new Dell and VMware vSphere platform.
Gregg Latchams LLP is one of Bristol's leading firms of solicitors, offering a comprehensive range of professional services and the highest levels of client care. They advise individuals and commercial clients in a wide range of industry sectors, with a conscious focus on entrepreneurs and small and medium sized businesses (SMEs).
The practice operated a Windows Server 2003 domain with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 and a number of additional servers performing specific roles and processes. These critical business systems were running on aging hardware that was due to be replaced.
Following consultation and advice from a Nexus Systems Engineer the practice decided to deploy new Dell PowerEdge servers and VMware vSphere. The new VMware virtualisation platform facilitated a more robust, scalable, cost-effective and easier to manage computer network environment. During the virtualisation phase of the migration project Nexus engineers upgraded the practice's server based operating systems, business applications and backup strategy.
Key tasks instrumental in the successful completion of the project included:
- Deployment of Dell PowerEdge R610 Servers
- Migration to a VMware VSphere 5 virtualised environment
- Installation of backup solution using Dell PowerEdge R510 Server and Veeam Backup & Replication Enterprise Edition
- Windows 2008 domain controller virtualisation, installation and configuration
- Microsoft Exchange 2010 virtualisation, deployment and migration of mailboxes
- Microsoft SQL 2008 installation, configuration and migration of live SQL databases
- Server deployment and migration of existing systems: Laserforms, SharpDESK Operation, Nflow data and Ozez Forms
- Remote Desktop Services (RDS) deployment and migration of all users