Online training programme for international user group
The European Met Office Network (EUMETNET) required an online training programme for key users spread across Europe that would empower them to develop, manage and maintain their web portal platform.
About the Customer
The European Met Network (EUMETNET) is a group of 29 European National Meteorological Services that provides a framework to enable the weather services to work together, share ideas and best practice, and to share the costs of major infrastructure investments. The additional benefit of EUMETNET is that it provides a collective "voice" for its Members when communicating with the EU or its various agencies and bodies. EUMETNET organises co-operative programmes between its Members in the various fields of meteorological activities. These activities include observing systems, data processing, forecasting, research, development and training.
EUMETNET required an online training programme for key users spread across Europe that would empower them to develop, manage and maintain their web portal platform. EUMETNET use MiCore Portal Engine intranet and portal software developed by Nexus, to power their international web portal and information management system. The software allows EUMETNET to host a web portal that centralises information and delivers content to authorised users via a web browser, from anywhere in the world.
Nexus supply software support and maintenance for the EUMETNET web portal. In addition to this service, Nexus were requested to conduct a series of training sessions for key users who were based across Europe at different Member organisations.
A software development expert from Nexus helped EUMETNET stakeholders to define their exact goals and design an online IT training programme that could incorporate desktop and audio sharing for three distinct groups based at different locations. The training was planned, managed and delivered on time and key deliverables included:
- Provision of 3 tier online training programme for users based across Europe
- Entry level training for new Secretariat personnel
- Intermediate training for Programme Managers
- Advanced training and Q&A sessions for Web Portal Administrators
- Interactive online training sessions with desktop and audio sharing
- Preparation of training content and methodology
- Delivery of training over the Internet to disparate users with WebEx technology
Outcome & Benefits
The successful delivery of an online training programme for EUMETNET by Nexus has enabled the organisation to maximise the return on investment from their web portal. The training has empowered key personnel to publish, manage and share meteorological information with Members across the globe. The training resulted in several benefits for EUMETNET including:
- Improved web portal communication and collaboration utilisation
- Increased web portal skills and techniques for key users across Europe
- Boosted information sharing between different Member organisations
- Encouraged user access from disparate locations to find information and work together
- Leveraged existing investment in the intranet and web portal platform